First, I would like to say my heart rate was the highest it’s been…well…pretty much ever. I would have seriously killed to be at this game. So good. So what were the highlights of this match?
- I hate when games come down to one or two good plays by a team that has possession 20 or 30 percent of the time, especially when it’s against my team. Luckily this game didn’t come to this but France scored TWO goals in 13 minutes. I wanted to cry. Alas, I never lost faith. Talk about a comeback.
- I told you Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach would be a huge factor in this tournament for the US…did I not? Morgan tallied her 18th and 19th goals this year, tying her for the sixth best yearly total in U.S. history with April Heinrichs, Mia Hamm and Cindy Parlow. Wambach had the first goal after France went up 2. It’s undeniable how much Wambach’s spirit and heart pushed the USWNT back to the tie and then the lead.
- The depth of the midfield is comforting. Rapinoe played another excellent game. Once the USWNT got their act together the midfield was controlled for the majority of the time.
- This game gave me even more confidence of the USWNT bench. Sadly, my favorite player, Shannon Boxx, went down in the 17th minute with a hamstring injury (day-to-day as of now) and Carli Lloyd came on. I’ve been known to not love Carli Lloyd but I cannot deny her impact on the game today. Seriously a sweet goal, I will post once I find a video!
- So, what unanswered questions are still left? Defense. We saw a complete lapse followed by another goal. They just need to get the rotation completely comfortable and not hesitate. Hope Solo played an excellent game and really just needs a little more support from her defenders.
The next game: The next game is Saturday against Columbia, who lost today against Korea DPR. There really shouldn’t be an issue but I would love to see more work on our defense in these group stages for sure. Who is joining me for a watch party? Shout-out to me on Twitter! Don’t forget to check out the Olympics Bracket tab!
Thanks to NBCSports.com for the awesome photo albums!